Accessing our API with the Insomnia REST clientInsomnia is a free and open-source desktop client for debugging and testing REST APIs. Our API is very straight-forward, with only a single entry point and authentication via the
keyparameter you supply as a variable in your request. Many APIs are more complex, and Insomnia can be a useful tool for interrogating them. Nevertheless, as we know developers tend to have a preference to use the tools they are familiar with, we thought it might be helpful to publish an Insomnia "Workspace" to make it as simple as possible for any developer who wants to access our API via this tool.
- Sign up for an OpenCage Geocoding API key, or if you already have one log in.
- Download and install the Insomnia REST client from the Insomnia website. Start up the Insomnia application
- Download the OpenCage workspace JSON file, which you can find here. Import the OpenCage workspace into your Insomnia client by clicking on "Impost from File"
- Notice on the right you can now see a request named "OpenCage Reverse request". Click on it.
In the center of the application you can now see the request and click
on the "Query" tab to see the various parameters.
Notice that the
keyparameter uses a variable named
You need to set the variable value in the "Environment". In the upper left
click on the Environment and then select "Manage Environments"
You will see a JSON editor. Set the value of
OPENCAGE_API_KEYto your OpenCage API key.
- Ok, now you're ready to start querying the OpenCage server. Run a query and you should see a response from the OpenCage server Now you can change the parameter values or add some of the optional parameters we support.
- Happy geocoding!
2,500 geocoding API requests per day.
No credit card required.